Pages

April 15, 2011

Preparation

One of the strongest statements that stuck with me from my high school years was "Live your life as though you will be married."

Meaning, the decisions we make in life, the people we associate with, the words we say and the hearts we affect, it's all important. It's someone else's eventual spouse. You don't know the "when" or the "who" of marriage yet, but the probability that a kid in high school will someday be married is high in comparison to one who will not be married.

I wish the same had been told to me when it came to Motherhood. I think I had the notion that Motherhood begins the moment I was blessed with a child of my own, when in reality, it's a preparation that is ongoing throughout your life.

I remember when we were "ready" to get pregnant. There was anticipation, hope, and wondering in the dailyness of our lives. Yet for both my husband and I, when we both realized that the markings on the home pregnancy test meant I was undoubtedly pregnant, there were polar-opposite feelings. We put on the face of excitement for others, but for about that first month I distinctly remember thinking, "What on earth have we done?!?"

There was no going back. Our lives were irreversibly forever changed from that moment on. Instead of feelings of elation we felt like a hammer of sorts had come down on our wedded bliss and a humongous chasm of "unknown" lay before us.

I remember thinking the pregnancy wouldn't really affect our daily lives until the 7th month or so. Seriously. That's how unprepared I was! A human life was growing, developing, being created inside my body and I believed there would not be any radical changes until I was practically ready to give birth.

The nausea hit me hard at 7 weeks and did not let up until I was nearly 6 months pregnant. The relief arrived in the form of an anti-emetic drug that had to be administered through an IV, along with countless bags of fluid to replenish my dehydrated state of being.

That first child of mine most definitely affected me in ways I was not prepared for from the moment I became aware of his existence.

No comments: